The Hague Apostille: The Apostille procedure in Namibia

Apostille simply explained

If you wish to present a Namibian document, such as a birth, death, marriage or divorce certificate, in Germany, you will generally have to guarantee the authenticity of the document. Simply presenting the document is usually not sufficient. For this reason, a document can be legalized in a special way for use abroad. This legalization of documents in Namibia involves the verification of their origin and authenticity by an authorized official. According to this procedure, the document is endorsed with a special stamp or a special certificate called an Apostille.

The Apostille was introduced at the Hague Conference in 1961, which is why it is also referred to as the Hague Apostille. Around 113 countries worldwide have now signed this convention on private international law. Namibia acceded to the Hague Convention in 2001.

Which documents can be notarized with an Apostille?

Almost all forms of public documents within Namibia can be notarized with an Apostille. For example, documents proving civil status, certificates from educational institutions, land register extracts, entries in the commercial register and various forms of medical reports can be apostilled. In addition, practice has shown that Namibian powers of attorney in many areas of legal transactions in, for example, Germany are only accepted with an Apostille.

How do I get an Apostille?

In Namibia, the Ministry of Justice and the High Court of Namibia are responsible for the Apostille.

Our notary’s office will be happy to assist you in applying for an Apostille. Please contact us at any time!

Ulrich Etzold & Dr. Richard Schulz

Disclaimer of liability

Please note that the above information is not intended as legal advice. This article is for information purposes only and neither Etzold-Duvenhage nor its employees shall be liable for any direct or indirect loss arising from reliance on the contents of this article. This article is limited to matters of current Namibian law. In the event that the contents of this document are relevant to a reader, we advise the reader to contact their lawyer for legal advice.